Sunday 24 June 2018

Ostomy Products That Everyone Needs

Whether you are a new or novice ostomate looking for beginner tips and tricks, a veteran ostomy patient looking for someone to prove wrong, or someone who knows nothing about ostomy and just wants to learn something new, then this article is for you. I know that not all people will share the same views as me on some of these ostomy supplies, but I have a lot of personal knowledge on ostomies since having a stoma put in back in 2005. For your information, I happen to be a part of the National Ostomy Association and in charge of over 10 support groups in the greater Indianapolis area. That’s right, I know a thing or two about what I’m talking about. So my one request of you is this - sit back, relax, and learn from me about ostomy supplies that you should be using if you are not already. Remember, you don’t need to feel sad if you are not using these supplies already; rather, this is a perfect time to turn from your sins and enter a whole new world of ostomy supplies and stoma related products. 


So as you can probably imagine, there is a whole plethora of ostomy supplies and stoma related gear that you can buy all over the internet. To keep things simple, we are mainly going to be focusing on the ostomy products and accessories that are not talked about as much but are critically important to the health and well being of your stoma. So, for example, I will not be spending too much time talking about ostomy pouches and that sort of thing. I talk about those in my other articles and simply do not have the time or energy to address that issue here.


Also, I am currently just rambling about things for as long as I can so I can write more words and create longer, sustained, nearly grammatically incorrect sentences. On that note, let’s talk about ostomy! So the first accessory you are going to need is ostomy paste. What is ostomy paste you might ask? What a stupid question. Just kidding, I’ll tell you what ostomy paste is. Ostomy paste is basically used to seal the skin around the skin barrier of your ostomy pouch. Similar to how you would caulk the edges of your bathtub or shower to keep liquid from going in or out, skin barrier paste helps to prevent leakage from occurring. It might be important to note that skin barrier paste is not an adhesive or a glue, and too much of the paste can interfere with your skin barrier seal.



Another accessory that I want to talk about are called barrier rings. Barrier rings are used to fill the gap between the skin barrier and your ostomy bag. Tired of your bag flapping around under the slack of where it is positioned with the skin barrier? Then try some barrier rings! These rings will make sure that your whole ostomy package and system is functioning properly and not doing anything it shouldn’t be doing. Stoma powder is also another good accessory, and I will give you 10 seconds to think about what it is before I tell you and to write more words. Stoma powder is powder you put on your stoma to help it do something.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Type Of Ostomy Pouch Is Right For You

Recently, as I have been spending countless hours scouring the internet through various articles and blog posts about ostomy, I have been se...